- Girl Names
What does the baby name Ruqayah mean? Learn about what Ruqayah means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Ruqayah - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Ruqayah
- R-U-Q-A-Y-A-H, is a 7-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Ruqayah
- roo WKAH yah
- Meaning of Ruqayah
- Better, superior.
- Origin of Ruqayah
- The name 'Ruqayah' has its origins in Arabic. Its earliest known use can be traced back to ancient Arabia, where it was a popular name among the Arab tribes. 'Ruqayah' is derived from the Arabic word 'ruqayyah', which means 'gentle' or 'elegant'. This name was often given to girls as a reflection of their graceful and refined qualities.
- African Names
- Kenyan Names
- Swahili Names
- Tanzanian Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Ruqayah
- Popularity of Ruqayah
- Over time, the popularity of the name 'Ruqayah' has seen fluctuations. It has never reached the heights of some other popular names, but it has maintained a steady presence. In recent years, there has been a noticeable increase in the usage of the name, suggesting a growing appreciation for its beauty and cultural significance.
- Ruqayah currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Ruqayah
The etymology of 'Ruqayah' can be traced back to the Arabic language. The name is derived from the root word 'raqa', which means 'to be gentle' or 'to be soft'. This linguistic root reflects the qualities associated with the name, emphasizing gracefulness and elegance.
Cultural Significance of Ruqayah
The name 'Ruqayah' holds particular significance in Islamic culture. It is widely known as the name of one of the daughters of the Prophet Muhammad. 'Ruqayah' bint Muhammad was known for her compassion, kindness, and wisdom. Her name has become a symbol of these virtues and is often chosen by Muslim parents who wish to honor her legacy.