- Girl Names
What does the baby name Norma mean? Learn about what Norma means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Norma - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Norma
- N-O-R-M-A, is a 5-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Norma
- Meaning of Norma
- Man from the north, from the north.
- Origin of Norma
- The name 'Norma' has its roots in Latin. It is believed to be derived from the Latin word 'norma', which means 'rule' or 'pattern'. The earliest known use of the name 'Norma' can be traced back to the 19th century, specifically to the Italian opera composer Vincenzo Bellini. In 1831, Bellini composed an opera titled 'Norma', which tells the tragic story of a Druid priestess. This opera brought the name 'Norma' into the spotlight and sparked its popularity.
- Anglo Saxon Names
- English Names
- German Names
- Germanic Names
- Latin Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Norma
- Popularity of Norma
- The name 'Norma' experienced a notable spike in popularity in the early 20th century. It reached its peak in the 1920s and 1930s, ranking among the top 100 names for baby girls in the United States. However, its popularity declined in the following decades, and it is now considered a less common name. Despite its decline in popularity, the name 'Norma' still holds a special place in the hearts of many.
- Norma currently has 108 likes, and is in the top 6% of liked girl's names. The name Adelynn is slightly more popular than Norma.
Etymology of Norma
As mentioned earlier, the name 'Norma' is derived from the Latin word 'norma', which means 'rule' or 'pattern'. This linguistic root reflects the idea of setting standards or adhering to a set of principles. It is fascinating to see how a name can embody such a concept, giving individuals a sense of purpose and direction.
Cultural Significance of Norma
The name 'Norma' does not have any specific cultural significance attached to it. However, it is worth mentioning that the opera 'Norma' by Vincenzo Bellini has had a significant impact on the cultural landscape. It is considered one of the greatest operas of all time and has been performed in prestigious theaters around the world. The name 'Norma', therefore, carries a sense of artistic and cultural appreciation.