- Girl Names
What does the baby name Liisa mean? Learn about what Liisa means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Liisa - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Liisa
- L-I-I-S-A, is a 5-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Liisa
- LEE sa
- Meaning of Liisa
- Promise of god, god is my oath.
- Origin of Liisa
- The name 'Liisa' has its origins in Finland, a country known for its enchanting landscapes and vibrant culture. It is a variant of the name Lisa, which itself is derived from the Hebrew name Elisheba, meaning 'God is my oath'. The Finnish version of the name adds an extra touch of uniqueness and charm.
- Finnish Names
- Greek Names
- Hebrew Names
- Pet Names
- Scandinavian Names
- Popularity of Liisa
- While 'Liisa' may not be as widely known as some other names, it holds a special place in the hearts of those with Finnish heritage. In Finland, 'Liisa' has been a beloved name for centuries, with its popularity peaking in the mid-20th century. It is worth noting that the popularity of names can vary greatly from country to country and even within different regions.
- Liisa currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Liisa
The etymology of 'Liisa' can be traced back to the Hebrew name Elisheba, as mentioned earlier. The Hebrew name found its way into various languages, each with its own unique phonetic adaptation. In Finnish, Elisheba became 'Liisa', maintaining the essence of the original name while embracing the linguistic nuances of the Finnish language.
Cultural Significance of Liisa
In Finnish culture, names hold great significance. They are often chosen to honor family members or reflect cultural values. 'Liisa', with its deep roots in Finnish tradition, embodies the spirit of the Finnish people. It represents the importance of family and community, as well as the resilience and strength that are characteristic of Finnish culture.