- Girl Names
What does the baby name Jenifer mean? Learn about what Jenifer means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Jenifer - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Jenifer
- J-E-N-I-F-E-R, is a 7-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Jenifer
- JEN if fer
- Meaning of Jenifer
- White wave, derived from guinevere, white, fair, smooth.
- Origin of Jenifer
- The name 'Jenifer' is a female name with origins in the Cornish language, meaning 'white wave' or 'fair one'. It is believed to be a variant of the name Guinevere, which is well-known in Arthurian legends. The earliest known use of the name 'Jenifer' can be traced back to the 17th century, making it a name with a rich history.
- American Names
- Arthurian Names
- Cornish Names
- Welsh Names
- Popularity of Jenifer
- Over the years, the popularity of the name 'Jenifer' has seen its fair share of fluctuations. In the early 20th century, the name experienced a notable spike in usage, possibly due to its association with the popular song 'Jennie Lee'. However, it wasn 't until the 1960s that the name truly gained widespread popularity. During this decade, it ranked among the top 100 names for girls in the United States.
- Jenifer currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Jenifer
The name 'Jenifer' has its roots in the Cornish language, which is a Celtic language spoken in Cornwall, a region in southwestern England. The Cornish language has its own unique linguistic characteristics and is closely related to Welsh and Breton. The name 'Jenifer' is derived from the Cornish words 'gwyn' meaning 'white' and 'havar' meaning 'summer'. This combination creates a beautiful image of a 'white wave' or a 'fair one. '
Cultural Significance of Jenifer
The name 'Jenifer' holds cultural significance in various contexts. In Arthurian legends, the name Guinevere, which is believed to be a variant of 'Jenifer', is associated with the legendary queen of King Arthur. Guinevere is often depicted as a beautiful and noble character, adding to the allure of the name 'Jenifer'. Additionally, in Welsh folklore, the name 'Jenifer' is associated with purity and grace.