- Girl Names
What does the baby name Gordana mean? Learn about what Gordana means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Gordana - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Gordana
- G-O-R-D-A-N-A, is a 7-letter female given name.
- Meaning of Gordana
- Hill near the meadow, from gordium.
- Origin of Gordana
- The name 'Gordana' has its origins in the Slavic language, specifically in the countries of Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is derived from the word 'gord', which means 'pride' or 'glory' in Slavic. The earliest known use of the name 'Gordana' can be traced back to the early 20th century in the Balkan region, where it gained popularity among parents seeking a name that embodied strength and pride.
- Croatian Names
- Scottish Names
- Serbian Names
- Popularity of Gordana
- The popularity of the name 'Gordana' has seen fluctuations over time. In the mid-20th century, it experienced a notable spike in usage, particularly in the Balkan countries where it originated. This can be attributed to the rise of national pride and the desire to honor cultural heritage. However, its popularity has waned in recent years, as more modern and international names have become prevalent. Nonetheless, 'Gordana' remains a beloved name among those who appreciate its rich cultural significance.
- Gordana currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Gordana
The etymology of the name 'Gordana' can be traced back to the Slavic word 'gord', which means 'pride' or 'glory'. This linguistic root reflects the essence of the name, as it embodies a sense of strength and dignity. The Slavic language has a deep history and is known for its rich vocabulary, which allows for the creation of meaningful and evocative names like 'Gordana'.
Cultural Significance of Gordana
The name 'Gordana' holds particular significance in the Balkan region, where it originated. In this cultural context, it is often seen as a symbol of national pride and a celebration of Slavic heritage. It represents the strength and resilience of the people who bear this name, serving as a reminder of their rich cultural history. Additionally, 'Gordana' is associated with qualities such as confidence, ambition, and success, making it a name that carries a positive connotation in this cultural context.