- Girl Names
What does the baby name Fayre mean? Learn about what Fayre means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Fayre - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Fayre
- F-A-Y-R-E, is a 5-letter female given name.
- Meaning of Fayre
- Beautiful, fair, light haired.
- Origin of Fayre
- The name 'Fayre' has its origins in Old English, where it was derived from the word 'fæger', meaning 'beautiful' or 'fair'. It first appeared in written records in the 12th century, and its earliest known use as a given name can be traced back to medieval England. During this time, names that described desirable qualities or physical appearances were popular, and 'Fayre' perfectly encapsulated the ideal of beauty.
- American Names
- English Names
- Popularity of Fayre
- While the name 'Fayre' may have ancient roots, its popularity has experienced fluctuations over time. In the early centuries, it was a relatively common name, especially among the nobility and upper classes. However, in the later years, it fell out of favor and became less prevalent.
- Fayre currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Fayre
The etymology of 'Fayre' is closely tied to its origin in Old English. The word 'fæger' is derived from the Proto-Germanic word 'fagraz', meaning 'suitable' or 'fitting'. This linguistic root highlights the connection between beauty and suitability, as something that is fair is often deemed appropriate or fitting.
Cultural Significance of Fayre
The name 'Fayre' does not possess significant cultural associations or specific contexts in which it is particularly significant. However, the concept of beauty and fairness is universally valued in many cultures. Thus, the name 'Fayre' resonates with individuals who appreciate the timeless qualities of beauty and grace.