- Girl Names
What does the baby name Andromede mean? Learn about what Andromede means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Andromede - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Andromede
- A-N-D-R-O-M-E-D-E, is a 9-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Andromede
- ahn DRO meh dee
- Meaning of Andromede
- Ruler of men, to think of a man.
- Origin of Andromede
- The name 'Andromede' has its origins in Greek mythology. In Greek mythology, 'Andromede' was a princess who was chained to a rock as a sacrifice to appease a sea monster sent by Poseidon. She was eventually rescued by the hero Perseus, who slew the monster and married her. The name 'Andromede' is derived from the Greek words 'andrós' meaning 'of a man' and 'medeia' meaning 'cunning' or 'wisdom'. Thus, the name 'Andromede' can be interpreted as 'cunning of a man' or 'wisdom of a man. '
- French Names
- Greek Names
- Mythological Names
- Nature Names
- Popularity of Andromede
- The name 'Andromede' is not a commonly used name in modern times. It has remained relatively obscure and has not experienced any notable spikes in popularity. However, it is worth noting that names from Greek mythology have gained some popularity in recent years, so it is possible that the name 'Andromede' may see a resurgence in the future.
- Andromede currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Andromede
As mentioned earlier, the name 'Andromede' is derived from the Greek words 'andrós' meaning 'of a man' and 'medeia' meaning 'cunning' or 'wisdom'. The combination of these two elements creates a name that is both strong and enigmatic. It evokes images of bravery, intelligence, and resourcefulness.
Cultural Significance of Andromede
The name 'Andromede' holds particular significance in Greek culture due to its connection to Greek mythology. In Greek mythology, 'Andromede 's story represents the triumph of good over evil and the power of love and heroism. The name 'Andromede' is often associated with qualities such as bravery, resilience, and intelligence.