- Girl Names
What does the baby name Alanis mean? Learn about what Alanis means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Alanis - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Alanis
- A-L-A-N-I-S, is a 6-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Alanis
- ah LAHN iss
- Meaning of Alanis
- Precious, valuable, beautiful & bright.
- Origin of Alanis
- The name 'Alanis' has its roots in the ancient Celtic language. It is believed to be a variation of the name Alana, which means 'harmony' or 'peace' in Celtic. The earliest known use of the name 'Alanis' can be traced back to Ireland in the 12th century. It was commonly given to girls with the hope that they would bring peace and harmony to their families and communities.
- American Names
- English Names
- German Names
- Germanic Names
- Greek Names
- Irish Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Alanis
- Popularity of Alanis
- Over the years, the popularity of the name 'Alanis' has fluctuated. In the early 2000s, it experienced a notable spike in usage, possibly due to its association with the Canadian singer-songwriter 'Alanis' Morissette, who gained worldwide fame with her album 'Jagged Little Pill'. The name 'Alanis' reached its peak popularity in the United States in 2005, ranking at number 418 on the Social Security Administration 's list of popular baby names. Since then, its popularity has gradually declined but has remained in use, particularly among parents who appreciate its unique and melodic sound.
- Alanis currently has 75 likes, and is in the top 7% of liked girl's names. The name Bronte is slightly more popular than Alanis.
Etymology of Alanis
The etymology of the name 'Alanis' can be traced back to the Celtic word 'alainn', which means 'beautiful' or 'handsome'. This linguistic root reflects the aesthetic appeal of the name and adds to its charm. The name 'Alanis' also shares similarities with the Greek name Althea, which means 'healing' or 'wholesome'. This connection adds a layer of depth to the name, suggesting qualities of beauty and inner strength.
Cultural Significance of Alanis
While the name 'Alanis' does not have a specific cultural significance, it is worth noting that names often carry cultural connotations and associations. In Latin American countries, the name 'Alanis' is sometimes associated with the indigenous Nahua people, who have a rich cultural heritage. The name may also be linked to the ancient Celtic culture, which valued harmony and connection with nature. These cultural connections add depth and meaning to the name 'Alanis', making it a choice that resonates with individuals seeking a name with historical and cultural significance.