- Girl Names
What does the baby name Aideen mean? Learn about what Aideen means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Aideen - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Aideen
- A-I-D-E-E-N, is a 6-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Aideen
- a DEEN
- ay DEEN
- Meaning of Aideen
- Little fire, pretty face.
- Origin of Aideen
- The name 'Aideen' has its roots in ancient Irish mythology. It is derived from the Gaelic name 'Étaín', which means 'little fire' or 'radiant'. In Irish folklore, 'Aideen' was a princess who fell in love with the heroic warrior Oscar, son of the legendary warrior Fionn mac Cumhaill. Their tragic love story has been immortalized in the ancient tales of the Fenian Cycle.
- American Names
- British Names
- Celtic Names
- English Names
- Gaelic Names
- Irish Names
- Scottish Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Aideen
- Popularity of Aideen
- While the name 'Aideen' may not be as commonly heard as some others, it has maintained a modest level of popularity over the years. It experienced a notable spike in usage during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, particularly in Ireland. However, its popularity waned in the mid-20th century, only to see a resurgence in recent years. This could be attributed to a growing interest in Irish heritage and a desire for unique and meaningful names.
- Aideen currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Aideen
Linguistically, the name 'Aideen' is rooted in the Irish language. Its etymology can be traced back to the Old Irish word 'aí', meaning 'fire' or 'radiance'. This reflects the name 's association with brightness, warmth, and vitality. The addition of the diminutive suffix '-een' further emphasizes the small and endearing nature of the name.
Cultural Significance of Aideen
In Irish culture, the name 'Aideen' holds a special place. It is often associated with qualities such as beauty, grace, and strength. 'Aideen 's story, as a brave and passionate princess, resonates with many who appreciate the rich tapestry of Irish mythology. The name 's connection to Irish heritage makes it particularly significant for those of Irish descent or those who wish to honor their Irish roots.