- Girl Names
What does the baby name Adeltrude mean? Learn about what Adeltrude means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Adeltrude - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Adeltrude
- A-D-E-L-T-R-U-D-E, is a 9-letter female given name.
- Pronunciation of Adeltrude
- ah DEHL trude
- Meaning of Adeltrude
- Noble and loved, noble and strong.
- Origin of Adeltrude
- The name 'Adeltrude' has its roots in Germanic languages, specifically Old High German. It is a combination of two elements 'adel', meaning 'noble', and 'trude', which is derived from 'thrud', meaning 'strength' or 'power'. Therefore, the name 'Adeltrude' can be interpreted as 'noble strength' or 'noble power. '
The earliest known use of the name 'Adeltrude' dates back to medieval times, where it was commonly used among Germanic nobility. It was often given to girls born into noble families, emphasizing their lineage and the power associated with their status. The name 'Adeltrude' was a symbol of strength and nobility, reflecting the values and aspirations of the aristocracy during that era.
- Germanic Names
- Saints Names
- Popularity of Adeltrude
- Throughout history, the popularity of the name 'Adeltrude' has varied. In medieval times, it was relatively common among the upper classes. However, as societal structures shifted and naming conventions changed, the name gradually fell out of favor. By the modern era, the name 'Adeltrude' had become quite rare, with only a handful of individuals bearing the name.
- Adeltrude currently has 2 likes, and is in the top 14% of liked girl's names. The name Abayomi is slightly more popular than Adeltrude.
Etymology of Adeltrude
The etymology of 'Adeltrude' can be traced back to its Germanic origins. The element 'adel' is derived from the Old High German word 'adal', which means 'noble'. This element is also found in other Germanic names, such as Adelheid and Adelbert. The element 'trude' comes from the Old High German word 'thrud', which means 'strength' or 'power'. This element is also present in other Germanic names, such as Gertrude and Siegtrude. The combination of these two elements in 'Adeltrude' creates a name that signifies noble strength or noble power.
Cultural Significance of Adeltrude
The name 'Adeltrude' has cultural significance in Germanic societies, particularly during medieval times. It represented the ideals of nobility, strength, and power that were highly valued by the aristocracy. The use of the name 'Adeltrude' was a way for noble families to assert their social status and lineage. It was a name that carried weight and conveyed a sense of prestige and authority.