- Boy Names
What does the baby name Wade mean? Learn about what Wade means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Wade - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Wade
- W-A-D-E, is a 4-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Wade
- Meaning of Wade
- River ford, traveller, from near a ford, to wade in water, wanderer, river crossing.
- Origin of Wade
- The name 'Wade' has its origins in the English language. It is derived from an occupational surname, which was originally given to individuals who worked as ford or river crossings. The word 'wade' itself means to walk through water or any other substance that impedes movement.
- American Names
- Classic Names
- English Names
- Old English Names
- Surname Names
- Popularity of Wade
- The popularity of the name 'Wade' has varied over time. It gained some popularity in the United States during the 19th century but experienced a decline in the early 20th century. However, it saw a resurgence in the mid-20th century and has maintained a moderate level of popularity since then.
- Wade currently has 105 likes, and is in the top 4% of liked boy's names. The name Wilson is slightly more popular than Wade.
Etymology of Wade
The name 'Wade' is derived from the Middle English word 'wade', which is derived from the Old English word 'wadan'. Both words share the same meaning of walking through water or any other substance that obstructs movement.
Cultural Significance of Wade
The name 'Wade' does not hold significant cultural connotations or symbolic meanings in particular cultures. It is primarily considered a surname-derived given name in English-speaking countries.