- Boy Names
What does the baby name Thorpe mean? Learn about what Thorpe means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Thorpe - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Thorpe
- T-H-O-R-P-E, is a 6-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Thorpe
- Meaning of Thorpe
- From the village, danish settlement.
- Origin of Thorpe
- The name 'Thorpe' is a surname of English origin, derived from the Old Norse word 'þorp', which means 'village' or 'hamlet'. It is believed to have been used as a locational surname to denote someone who lived in or near a village. The earliest known use of the name 'Thorpe' dates back to the 12th century in England.
- American Names
- English Names
- Old Norse Names
- Place Names
- Surname Names
- Popularity of Thorpe
- The popularity of the name 'Thorpe' has varied over time. In the medieval period, when surnames were first becoming common, it was a relatively common name in England. However, its usage declined in the following centuries and became less prevalent. In recent times, the name 'Thorpe' has seen a resurgence in popularity, although it remains relatively uncommon compared to other surnames.
- Thorpe currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Thorpe
The etymology of the name 'Thorpe' can be traced back to the Old Norse language. The word 'þorp' was used to describe a small settlement or village. It is derived from the Proto-Germanic word 'thurpaz', which has the same meaning. The Old Norse language was spoken by the Vikings and had a significant influence on the development of the English language.
Cultural Significance of Thorpe
The name 'Thorpe' does not have any specific cultural significance attached to it. However, as a surname of English origin, it is associated with English history and heritage. It represents a connection to the rural communities of medieval England and the way of life in small villages.