- Boy Names
What does the baby name Teal mean? Learn about what Teal means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Teal - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Teal
- T-E-A-L, is a 4-letter male given name.
- Meaning of Teal
- Greenish blue color, a small freshwater duck.
- Origin of Teal
- The name 'Teal' is of English origin. It is derived from the Middle English word 'tele', which refers to the bluish-green color often seen in the feathers of the teal bird. The name 'Teal' was originally used as a surname, associated with individuals who either had the surname or were associated with the bird itself.
- American Names
- English Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Teal
- Popularity of Teal
- The name 'Teal' has not been a commonly used name for boys. It has remained relatively uncommon throughout history, with only a few instances of its usage. The name has not reached high levels of popularity or widespread usage.
- Teal currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Teal
The etymology of the name 'Teal' is closely tied to its association with the teal bird. The word 'teal' itself comes from the Old English word 'tēal', which is believed to be derived from the Latin word 'tēlus'. The Latin word 'tēlus' refers to a kind of waterbird, which is likely the precursor to the modern teal bird.
Cultural Significance of Teal
The name 'Teal' does not hold significant cultural connotations or specific meanings in most cultures. However, due to its association with the teal bird, it may be seen as a nature-inspired name that symbolizes beauty, grace, and tranquility.