- Boy Names
What does the baby name Ravindra mean? Learn about what Ravindra means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Ravindra - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Ravindra
- R-A-V-I-N-D-R-A, is a 8-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Ravindra
- rah VIN drah
- Meaning of Ravindra
- An indra among suns, mightiest of suns.
- Origin of Ravindra
- 'Ravindra' is a masculine given name that originates from India. It is derived from the Sanskrit language, which is one of the oldest known languages in the world. In Sanskrit, 'Ravi' means 'sun' and 'indra' means 'lord' or 'king'. Therefore, 'Ravindra' can be translated as 'Lord of the Sun' or 'King of the Sun.'
The earliest known use of the name 'Ravindra' can be traced back to ancient Indian texts and scriptures, such as the Vedas and the Mahabharata. These texts are considered sacred and hold great historical and cultural significance in Indian society. The name 'Ravindra' is often associated with the divine, symbolizing power, radiance, and leadership.
- Hindi Names
- Indian Names
- Sanskrit Names
- Popularity of Ravindra
- Over time, the popularity of the name 'Ravindra' has fluctuated. In the early 20th century, it experienced a notable spike in usage, particularly in India. This can be attributed to the growing nationalistic sentiments during India's struggle for independence from British colonial rule. Many parents chose to name their children 'Ravindra' as a way to honor the country's rich cultural heritage and to instill a sense of pride and patriotism.
However, in recent years, the popularity of the name 'Ravindra' has declined, especially in Western countries. This can be attributed to the increasing trend of choosing more modern and unique names. Nevertheless, 'Ravindra' continues to be a popular choice among Indian families, reflecting their deep-rooted connection to their cultural and linguistic heritage.
- Ravindra currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Ravindra
As mentioned earlier, the name 'Ravindra' is derived from the Sanskrit language. Sanskrit is an ancient Indo-Aryan language that has influenced many other languages, including Hindi, Bengali, and Marathi. The linguistic roots of 'Ravindra' can be traced back to the combination of 'ravi' (sun) and 'indra' (lord or king), creating a name that embodies the power and radiance of the sun.
Cultural Significance of Ravindra
In Indian culture, the name 'Ravindra' holds great significance. It is often associated with qualities such as strength, leadership, and intelligence. The sun, which the name represents, is considered a symbol of knowledge, enlightenment, and vitality. Therefore, naming a child 'Ravindra' is seen as a way to bestow these qualities upon them and to express the parents' aspirations for their child's future.