- Boy Names
What does the baby name Park mean? Learn about what Park means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Park - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Park
- P-A-R-K, is a 4-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Park
- Meaning of Park
- Of the forest, cypress tree, someone employed in a park, the cypress tree.
- Origin of Park
- The name 'Park' has its origins in the English language. It is derived from the Middle English word 'park' which referred to an enclosed area of land used for hunting or recreation. The name was originally used to denote someone who lived near or worked in a park.
- American Names
- Chinese Names
- English Names
- Surname Names
- Popularity of Park
- As a given name, 'Park' is relatively uncommon. It is more commonly used as a surname, particularly among people of English or Scottish descent. However, as a first name, 'Park' has seen some usage, albeit on a modest scale.
- Park currently has 1 like, and is in the top 14% of liked boy's names. The name Adom is slightly more popular than Park.
Etymology of Park
The etymology of the name 'Park' is straightforward. It is derived from the Middle English word 'park' which, as mentioned earlier, referred to an enclosed area of land. The word itself can be traced back to the Old French word 'parc' and ultimately to the Latin word 'parricus' meaning 'enclosure'.
Cultural Significance of Park
While 'Park' does not hold significant cultural connotations, it is worth noting that surnames often carry historical and regional significance. In the case of the surname 'Park', it may indicate a connection to a specific place or occupation related to parks or enclosed areas.