- Boy Names
What does the baby name Maxwell mean? Learn about what Maxwell means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Maxwell - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Maxwell
- M-A-X-W-E-L-L, is a 7-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Maxwell
- MAHKS well
- Meaning of Maxwell
- Dweller by the spring, from maccus' spring, pool of maccus, great spring.
- Origin of Maxwell
- The name 'Maxwell' has its roots in Scotland, where it originated as a surname. It is derived from the Old Scots name 'Maccus', which was a popular given name in medieval times. The earliest known use of the name 'Maxwell' as a surname dates back to the 12th century, making it a name with a rich and storied history.
- American Names
- Anglo Saxon Names
- Celtic Names
- English Names
- Gaelic Names
- Literary Names
- Scottish Names
- Surname Names
- Popularity of Maxwell
- Over the centuries, the popularity of the name 'Maxwell' has seen its fair share of ups and downs. In the 19th century, the name experienced a notable spike in usage, coinciding with the rise of the Industrial Revolution. The name 'Maxwell' evoked a sense of strength and power, aligning with the societal values of the time. However, it experienced a decline in popularity during the early 20th century, only to regain its appeal in recent decades.
- Maxwell currently has 249 likes, and is in the top 2% of liked boy's names. The name German is slightly more popular than Maxwell.
Etymology of Maxwell
Delving into the linguistic roots of the name 'Maxwell', we find that it has a fascinating etymology. The name is derived from the Old English words 'mæx' and 'wella', which together mean 'great stream' or 'Mack's well'. This suggests a connection to water and the abundance it represents. It is a name that conjures images of flowing rivers and the vitality they bring.
Cultural Significance of Maxwell
While the name 'Maxwell' does not have any specific cultural associations, it has gained prominence in various fields. In the world of science, the renowned physicist James Clerk 'Maxwell', known for his groundbreaking work on electromagnetism, has brought prestige to the name. His contributions to the field have solidified the name 'Maxwell' as a symbol of intellectual prowess and scientific curiosity.