- Boy Names
What does the baby name Krister mean? Learn about what Krister means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Krister - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Krister
- K-R-I-S-T-E-R, is a 7-letter male given name.
- Meaning of Krister
- Christ bearer, follower of christ.
- Origin of Krister
- The name 'Krister' is derived from the Scandinavian name Kristian, which itself is a variation of the widely known name Christian. The name Christian has its roots in the Latin word 'Christianus', meaning 'follower of Christ'. It is believed that the name 'Krister' emerged as a shortened form of Kristian, adding a unique twist to the traditional name.
- Scandinavian Names
- Swedish Names
- Popularity of Krister
- The popularity of the name 'Krister' has fluctuated over time. While it may not be as common as some other names, it has seen notable spikes in usage in certain periods. In Scandinavian countries, such as Sweden and Norway, 'Krister' gained popularity in the 1970s and 1980s. During this time, parents sought out names that were distinctive and reflected their cultural heritage. However, in recent years, the popularity of 'Krister' has declined, as more modern and international names have become fashionable.
- Krister currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Krister
The etymology of 'Krister' can be traced back to the Greek word 'christos', which means 'anointed one' or 'chosen one'. This Greek word was later adopted by the Latin-speaking Christians and transformed into the name Christianus. The name Christianus then evolved into various forms, including Kristian and eventually 'Krister'. The linguistic roots of 'Krister' highlight its connection to Christianity and the significance of faith.
Cultural Significance of Krister
'Krister' holds particular cultural significance in Scandinavian countries, where it is closely associated with the Christian faith. In these countries, Christianity has played a significant role in shaping the culture and values of the people. The name 'Krister', with its ties to Christian beliefs, serves as a reminder of the cultural heritage and religious traditions that have influenced Scandinavian society.