- Boy Names
What does the baby name Hollis mean? Learn about what Hollis means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Hollis - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Hollis
- H-O-L-L-I-S, is a 6-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Hollis
- HOLL iss
- Meaning of Hollis
- Near the holly bushes, near the holly, living in the trees of holly, lives near holly bushes, grove of holly trees.
- Origin of Hollis
- The name 'Hollis' has its origins in the English language. It is derived from an English surname that was originally used to denote someone who lived near or in a holly tree grove. The word 'holly' itself comes from Old English holen, which refers to the holly tree.
- American Names
- English Names
- Nature Names
- Old English Names
- Place Names
- Surname Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Hollis
- Popularity of Hollis
- The name 'Hollis' has experienced varying levels of popularity throughout history. It first gained some usage as a given name in the late 19th century in the United States. However, it has never reached the top ranks of popularity and has remained relatively uncommon.
- Hollis currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Hollis
The etymology of the name 'Hollis' is closely tied to the holly tree. The word 'holly' is derived from Old English holen, which refers to the holly tree. The name 'Hollis' signifies a connection to this tree, often associated with its symbolic meaning of protection and hope.
Cultural Significance of Hollis
While the name 'Hollis' does not hold significant cultural significance, it does bear a connection to nature and the holly tree. In some cultures, the holly tree is associated with protection and warding off evil spirits. It is also often used as a symbol of hope and new beginnings, particularly during the winter season.