- Boy Names
What does the baby name Hampton mean? Learn about what Hampton means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Hampton - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Hampton
- H-A-M-P-T-O-N, is a 7-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Hampton
- HAMP tun
- Meaning of Hampton
- Place name, from the village by the town, homestead within a settlement, little town.
- Origin of Hampton
- The name 'Hampton' has its roots in Old English, specifically the Anglo-Saxon period. It is derived from the words 'ham', meaning home or settlement, and 'tun', meaning enclosure or town. Therefore, 'Hampton' can be interpreted to mean 'home settlement' or 'enclosed town'. This name was first recorded in the 12th century, making it a name with a long and storied history.
- American Names
- British Names
- English Names
- Old English Names
- Place Names
- Surname Names
- Popularity of Hampton
- Throughout history, the popularity of the name 'Hampton' has experienced fluctuations. It was most commonly used in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, particularly in England and the United States. Notable spikes in usage can be attributed to influential figures who bore the name, such as 'Hampton' Sides, a renowned author and journalist. However, in recent years, the name has become less common, as parents tend to opt for more modern and unique names for their children.
- Hampton currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Hampton
The etymology of the name 'Hampton' can be traced back to Old English, where it originated. The combination of 'ham' and 'tun' reflects the linguistic roots of this name. The Old English language was influenced by various Germanic languages, and its evolution over time has contributed to the diversity of names we have today.
Cultural Significance of Hampton
While 'Hampton' does not have a specific cultural significance, it carries a sense of elegance and prestige. The name evokes images of grandeur and sophistication, making it a popular choice for families seeking a name with a distinguished aura. Additionally, the name 'Hampton' has been associated with historical figures who were known for their power and influence, further enhancing its cultural significance.