- Boy Names
What does the baby name Gery mean? Learn about what Gery means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Gery - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Gery
- G-E-R-Y, is a 4-letter male given name.
- Meaning of Gery
- Mighty with a spear.
- Origin of Gery
- The name 'Gery' has its roots in ancient Greek mythology. It is derived from the Greek name 'Gery'on, who was a fearsome giant with three heads and three bodies. 'Gery'on is often depicted as a monstrous figure, known for his strength and power. The name 'Gery'on has been adapted over time to become 'Gery', a shorter and more modern version of the original name.
- American Names
- English Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Gery
- Popularity of Gery
- While 'Gery' may not be as widely used as some other names, it has seen a steady increase in popularity in recent years. According to data from the Social Security Administration, the name 'Gery' was given to approximately 100 babies in the United States in 2020. While this may seem like a small number compared to more popular names, it is worth noting that the name 'Gery' has experienced a notable spike in usage in the past decade.
- Gery currently has no likes. Be the first to like this name.
Etymology of Gery
The name 'Gery' is derived from the ancient Greek name 'Gery'on, as mentioned earlier. The Greek name 'Gery'on is believed to have originated from the word 'geras', which means 'old age' or 'old man'. This etymology suggests that the name 'Gery' may have been used to symbolize wisdom, experience, and maturity.
Cultural Significance of Gery
In Greek mythology, 'Gery'on is most famous for his role in the tenth labor of Heracles, also known as Hercules. Heracles was tasked with capturing the cattle of 'Gery'on as one of his twelve labors. This mythological connection adds a layer of significance to the name 'Gery', symbolizing strength, power, and overcoming challenges.