- Boy Names
What does the baby name Gaspard mean? Learn about what Gaspard means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Gaspard - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Gaspard
- G-A-S-P-A-R-D, is a 7-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Gaspard
- gas PAHR
- Meaning of Gaspard
- Treasurer, treasure keeper.
- Origin of Gaspard
- 'Gaspard' is a masculine given name that has its origins in the French language. It is derived from the Persian name 'Gaspar', which was later adopted by the French. The earliest known use of the name can be traced back to the 6th century, when it was associated with one of the three wise men or Magi who visited the baby Jesus in Bethlehem. 'Gaspard', along with Melchior and Balthazar, brought precious gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. This biblical association has contributed to the enduring popularity of the name.
- French Names
- Spanish Names
- Similar Names, Nicknames, & Spelling Variations of Gaspard
- Popularity of Gaspard
- Over the centuries, the popularity of the name 'Gaspard' has fluctuated. In the Middle Ages, it was a relatively common name in France and other European countries. However, its usage declined in the following centuries, and it became less prevalent. In recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in the name, particularly in France and other French-speaking regions. While it may not be as popular as some other names, its uniqueness and historical significance make it a compelling choice for parents seeking a distinctive name for their child.
- Gaspard currently has 1 like, and is in the top 14% of liked boy's names. The name Adom is slightly more popular than Gaspard.
Etymology of Gaspard
The etymology of the name 'Gaspard' can be traced back to its Persian roots. The Persian name 'Gaspar' is believed to have originated from the Sanskrit word 'Gathaspa', which means 'bringer of treasure'. This is fitting, considering the wise men's symbolic gifts to the baby Jesus. The name 'Gaspard' is a testament to the enduring power of language and the way it evolves and adapts over time.
Cultural Significance of Gaspard
The name 'Gaspard' holds cultural significance in various contexts. In addition to its biblical associations, it is also celebrated in French culture. 'Gaspard' de la Nuit, a collection of poems by Aloysius Bertrand, is considered a literary masterpiece and has contributed to the name's cultural significance in France. Furthermore, 'Gaspard' is a popular character name in French literature and theater, adding to its cultural allure.