- Boy Names
What does the baby name Garrison mean? Learn about what Garrison means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Garrison - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Garrison
- G-A-R-R-I-S-O-N, is a 8-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Garrison
- GARE rih son
- Meaning of Garrison
- Spear fortified town, son of gerard, son of gary, troops in battle, son of garry.
- Origin of Garrison
- The name 'Garrison' has its roots in the English language. It is derived from the Middle English word 'garisoun', which means a fortified place or a stronghold. This word, in turn, comes from the Old French word 'garnison', meaning to defend or protect. The earliest known use of the name 'Garrison' can be traced back to medieval times, when surnames were often derived from occupations or locations. It is likely that the name originated as a surname for individuals who lived near or worked in a garrison.
- American Names
- English Names
- German Names
- Germanic Names
- Surname Names
- Popularity of Garrison
- The popularity of the name 'Garrison' has fluctuated over time. According to historical records, the name experienced a notable spike in usage during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This could be attributed to various factors, such as the influence of prominent individuals with the name 'Garrison' or a general trend in naming conventions during that period. However, in recent years, the name has become less common, with a decrease in popularity.
- Garrison currently has 44 likes, and is in the top 6% of liked boy's names. The name Tobin is slightly more popular than Garrison.
Etymology of Garrison
The etymology of the name 'Garrison' can be traced back to its English roots. As mentioned earlier, it is derived from the Middle English word 'garisoun', which means a fortified place or a stronghold. This word has its origins in the Old French word 'garnison', which means to defend or protect. The linguistic roots of the name highlight its association with strength, protection, and security.
Cultural Significance of Garrison
While the name 'Garrison' does not have any specific cultural or historical significance, it carries connotations of strength, resilience, and protection. The association with a garrison, a fortified place, evokes images of safety and defense. In this sense, the name 'Garrison' can symbolize the qualities of a strong and reliable individual who is capable of providing protection and support.