- Boy Names
What does the baby name Dhruv mean? Learn about what Dhruv means, its history & origin, popularity in our random name database, pronunciation, similar names, nicknames & spelling variations.
Dhruv - Name Meaning, Origin & Popularity
- Spelling of Dhruv
- D-H-R-U-V, is a 5-letter male given name.
- Pronunciation of Dhruv
- Meaning of Dhruv
- Firmly fixed, faithful, constant.
- Origin of Dhruv
- The name 'Dhruv' finds its origins in Hindu mythology, specifically in the story of a young prince named 'Dhruv'a. According to Hindu scriptures, 'Dhruv'a was a devoted and determined child who sought the approval and love of his father, the king. When his father showed more affection towards his stepbrother, 'Dhruv'a was heartbroken and decided to seek solace in the divine.
'Dhruv'a embarked on a journey of intense meditation and penance, seeking the blessings of Lord Vishnu. Impressed by his unwavering devotion, Lord Vishnu granted 'Dhruv'a a special place in the heavens, where he became the Pole Star, also known as 'Dhruv'a Nakshatra. The name 'Dhruv', therefore, carries the significance of steadfastness and unwavering determination in the face of adversity.
- Hindi Names
- Indian Names
- Sanskrit Names
- Popularity of Dhruv
- Over time, the name 'Dhruv' has gained popularity not only within Indian communities but also globally. In recent years, it has seen a notable increase in usage, particularly among parents seeking unique and meaningful names for their children. The name 'Dhruv' has a certain charm and exotic appeal that resonates with parents looking for a name that stands out from the crowd.
- Dhruv currently has 1 like, and is in the top 14% of liked boy's names. The name Adom is slightly more popular than Dhruv.
Etymology of Dhruv
The name 'Dhruv' has its linguistic roots in the Sanskrit language, which is one of the oldest languages in the world. In Sanskrit, 'Dhruv' is derived from the word 'dhruva', which means 'firm', 'steadfast', or 'immovable'. The name reflects the qualities of stability and determination, which are highly valued in Indian culture.
Cultural Significance of Dhruv
In Indian culture, the name 'Dhruv' holds great significance. It is often associated with qualities such as perseverance, dedication, and unwavering faith. The story of 'Dhruv'a serves as a moral lesson, emphasizing the importance of staying true to one's beliefs and remaining steadfast in the pursuit of one's goals.